Through the Awards Program, FUSION: The Ontario Clay and Glass Association
• recognizes ceramics and glass community volunteers through the FUSION Volunteer Appreciation Program and through nominations of individuals for the Ontario Crafts Council John Mather Award for outstanding service to the crafts community • supports ceramic and glass education in the province of Ontario by recognizing graduating students enrolled in a ceramics or glass program at an accredited Ontario college or university through Student Awards
• nominates outstanding individuals demonstrating excellence in their field for national awards
• encourages excellence by supporting member guild exhibitions through its Design Award
• assists those in financial need seeking to pursue further education in the field of ceramics or glass by bursaries provided through the FUSION Scholarship Fund.
Award applications may be submitted at any time during the year. Awards are announced or presented at the FUSION Annual General Meeting in May, and are listed in the Annual Report. For additional information please call the FUSION office.
Applicants must apply for awards by writing the FUSION Awards Committee, outlining the award for which they would like to be considered. All required documentation must be included in the letter of application as described below.
In all cases the decisions of the awards committee are final. The committee reserves the right not to give an award if, in its judgement, there are no suitable candidates.
FUSION DESIGN AWARD
Each member Guild (affiliated) or Association is entitled to give one FUSION Design Award to a participant in the guild’s juried exhibition to honour excellence in design. The award consists of admission to a FUSION Conference, and a one year FUSION membership.
• A letter of request for the award, including names of the juror(s) must be forwarded to the FUSION office.
• The guild must provide FUSION with the name and address of the recipient within 30 days of the award presentation.
• To be considered for publication, images and copy regarding the exhibition and award winners should be forwarded to the editor of FUSION Magazine.
FUSION VOLUNTEER OF THE YEAR AWARD
Each year individuals who have volunteered outstanding service to FUSION are recognized at the FUSION Annual Conference. The Award consists of a certificate, gift, and recognition of the activity in FUSION NEWS. Nominees for the award may be proposed by FUSION Board members, guild executives, or individual members. A letter from either guilds or individuals describing their rationale for proposing a volunteer for the award is due at the FUSION office April 30. Maximum length for nominations is two pages.
FUSION STUDENT AWARDS
Students enrolled in ceramics and glass departments at accredited Ontario universities and colleges are eligible for FUSION Student Awards. Each year, students nominated by faculty are eligible to receive awards.These awards are based on technical achievement,community involvement and merit. Faculty should request award packages for presentation at their awards ceremony from the FUSION office. Students must notify the FUSION office of their current address to receive the award.
JOHN MATHER AWARD
Since 1981, to honour a founding member and former treasurer John Mather, the Ontario Crafts Council presents three awards annually for service to crafts over an extended period. The OCC award consists of a medal and a life-time membership in the Crafts Council. As an affiliate of the OCC, FUSION is eligible to make nominations.
• Nominees must be residents of Ontario
• Nominees need not be craftspeople.
• Each nominee must be proposed and seconded by the nominating group
• Application must be accompanied by the nominee’s resume
• Applications must be accompanied with nominator’s rationale for proposing the individual for the award.
• Maximum length for nominations is two pages.
• Nominations are due at the FUSION office March 31 and will be forwarded to the OCC by the published deadline in any given year.
Mail letters of application to:
The FUSION Awards Committee
1444 Queen Street East
Or e-mail applications to: email@example.com
FUSION gratefully acknowledges the assistance of the Ontario Arts Council. The Ontario Arts Council is an agency of the Government of Ontario