Saturday, January 25, 2014

emerging artist: Dani Sigler







With current US politics attempting to reverse human and women’s rights, I create art to keep these rights moving forward. Much of my body of work consists of feminine-inspired forms and objects with strong female content. The colors and topics are loud but I also work to inject humor into these heavy topics. It is clear to me that Women’s and Civil Rights have come under heavy fire in the political realm. I strive to make work that is functional and domestic, attempting to keep these conversations at the ‘everyday’ level, thereby making my art more inclusive for multiple audiences, as opposed to limiting it to specific groups or sites.  Clay is my material of choice because it is a malleable material that encourages touching. I am interested in seeing how the soft becomes strong, and I am pleased with the tactile sensations of the finished projects.

1 comment:

Matthew Barnes said...

Love Dani Sigler!! Also, freaking love the leg lamp ;) I am proud to look at it every day. I think I now own 5 or 6 Sigler pieces.