Wednesday, April 18, 2012
Utilitarian Clay VI: Celebrate the Object @ Arrowmont
Sep. 19, 2012 - Sep. 22, 2012
Held every four years since 1992, Arrowmont's utilitarian clay symposium enjoys an international audience in celebrating and demonstrating the limitless interpretations of the utilitarian clay object. The symposium attracts those who are interested in not only the practical concerns with making functional objects, but also in the more theoretical issues related to the field. The Symposium—limited to 200 attendees—provides an intimate atmosphere for meaningful dialogue, discussion and social activities.
• Keynote Address by Wesley McNair, poet laureate of Maine
• Rotating studio demonstrations and presentations (42 sessions)
• Evening panels moderated by Andrew Glasgow
• Studio to Market: Complexities and Challenges
• Where do we go from here: what are our questions, who are our leaders, how do we remain responsible?
• Afternoon historical pottery lectures by Peter Pinnell
• The Art of Drinking, Parts 1 & 2: The lectures will discuss the artistic and aesthetic potential of drinking, drinking customs and drinking vessels
• Round table conversation by all 17 presenters discussing and exhibiting their "Favorite Pots" brought from home and on exhibit at Arrowmont
• Exhibitions Opening Reception
• Tasty meals served in the Arrowmont dining room
• Live Bluegrass Music BBQ and dancing under the stars
• Symposium participant cup exchange. Each participant is asked to bring a cup. A system for cup exchange will be initiated on Thursday morning before breakfast.
• Presenters Exhibition: 85 objects by 17 national presenters
• Mentors Exhibition: 32 objects by the national presenters invited "mentors"
• Past Presenters Exhibition: Works from past symposium presenters (1992 – 2008)
• Potters Favorite Pots Exhibition: 17 pots from the personal collections of the 17 presenters
• Pottery Selections From the Arrowmont Permanent Collection
Presenters: Jen Allen · Nicholas Bivins · Blair Clemo · Sunshine Cobb · Molly Hatch · Bryan Hopkins · Brian Jones · Lindsay Oesterritter · Doug Peltzman · Peter Pinnell · Monica Ripley · Emily Schroeder Willis · Deborah Schwartzkopf · Kevin Snipes · Shawn Spangler · Shoko Teruyama · gwendolyn yoppolo
Keynote Speaker: Wesley McNair
Panel Moderator: Andrew Glasgow
Symposium Coordinators: Bill Griffith & Peter Beasecker
Registration (by fax, phone, or mail only) begins at 8:00 a.m. on Monday, April 23.
Space is limited to 200 participants—first come, first served.
MAIL: P.O. Box 567 (556 Parkway), Gatlinburg, TN 37738
Symposium Fee: $455
Includes programs, events, gallery reception, all meals from Thursday-Saturday, and the Saturday night dinner & dance.
Housing Fee: $100 to $280 total for four nights—Wednesday through Saturday—depending on selection and availability of on-campus, dormitory style facilities. See the application form for options.
All cancellations must be made in writing by mail, fax or email (no phone calls please). A cancellation fee of $100 will be charged on cancellations received more than 45 days prior to the start of the symposium. Cancellations received 45 days or less prior to the symposium receive no refund. No refunds will be given to those who must leave the symposium early. In the event that Arrowmont cancels the symposium, registered participants will receive a full refund. Arrowmont cannot be responsible for airline tickets or other travel costs in the event of cancellation.
Want more info? Visit their website.