Monday, 13 August 2007
Ontario Clay artists - call for submissions
The Archives of Ontario, the premier source of Ontario’s documentary heritage, has joined forces with the Gardiner Museum, Canada’s pre-eminent ceramic museum, for an innovative and exciting project.
Influenced and inspired by the holdings of the Archives of Ontario and archival collections across the province, this project will result in the creation of significant ceramic art that will promote and showcase Ontario’s ceramic artists and portray the culture and heritage of the province.
Eight original ceramic tiles will be purchased by the Government of Ontario Art Collection from eight individual Ontario artists. The tiles will be installed at an indoor location in the new Archives of Ontario Public Service Facility slated to open in 2009. Prior to their installation, the tiles will be launched and displayed at a reception held at the Gardiner Museum in Toronto on Tuesday, November 4, 2008.
Ontario based professional artists are invited to submit:
* A concept statement that clearly indicates the relationship of the proposed artwork to the archival records on which it will be based. Artists may consult the web site of the Archives of Ontario or the myriad of local, heritage and other archival institutions throughout the province. To access the Archives of Ontario’s web site and for a listing of Ontario’s archival institutions visit here and here.
* Four recent examples of your work in either slide or digital format (on CD-ROM). Please submit all images on slides OR CD, not both.
* a self-addressed stamped envelope is required for the return of all graphic material.
* A copy your c.v., including all contact information.
* Please mail your entry to:
Government of Ontario Art Collection
Archives of Ontario
77 Grenville Street, 3rd Floor
Toronto ON M5S 1B3
* Entries must be received by: Friday, November 30, 2007.
* A maximum of eight works will receive purchase awards of $2,000 (inclusive of CARFAC fees) and will become part of the Government of Ontario Art Collection.
* The Archives of Ontario and the Gardiner Museum reserve the right to reproduce all accepted work for educational and publicity purposes.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Please contact Gillian Reddyhoff at:
Telephone: (416) 327-2808